Re: =CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB= re: Danai's Crosley

  • Peter Berard
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8 8:28 AM
        Sea Foam still evokes memories. T'was the color of my 1946 Ford Rag Top.
       At least till Dad painted her black in approximately 1957, and this was the first time I ever heard of the clear coating.  This was, and still is the best application of paint I've ever seen. Looked like black Jell-O two inches deep. Really don't know if this idea originated from him, but the whole town of Waterville drooled when it was seen.
        Must have perked his body shop business................p
      ----- Original Message -----To: Crosley@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:47 AM
      Subject: =CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB= re: Danai's Crosley

      Pour a can of Seafoam into the gas tank.....it is one of the few snake oils that truly does what it boasts.  It will be an elixir to the carb pistons and valves.
      Running rough also could easily mean a tune up or at the least an inspection of the points.  If you can manage to keep her running in the dark...very dark...look for blue running across the wires...that is uncontained leaking electricity and a sure sign the plug wires are bad.  Spark plug gaps need checking and if you replace them I am an old school believer in Champion being the best for older cars.

      Keep us posted you have a wealth of Crosley knowledge ready boost your status to Crosley expert!  Seriously, Crosleys and most cars of the era are some of the easiest to work on due to their very basic nature.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9 8:56 AM
        OK Peter,
        You have tweeked my inquiring mind!  I may be mistaken but what is called clear coat today is a two stage process relying on the finish coat to add luster to the otherwise dull first stage.

        What you suggest is a finish coat on top of a finish coat and in the day, that may have been lacquer....not sure what production paint was by 1957.

        Can and would you elaborate on details of what your Dad did?

      • Peter Berard
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9 10:17 AM
          Hey Robert,

           Hummmm, I don't think it was lacquer because I'd have remembered my sore arms from the rubbing. I have to guess Dad would have laid the clear on after a setting measured period for the black.  For sure we didn't sand between finishes.

            No, I'd have to say it was synthetic enamel of some sorts. Dad was born in 1898 and spent most of his adult life in the car repair and body shop business. He was up to date with all the tricks.  Hip? The results were truly outstanding.  He made a study of painting.

          Having seen the results of  a real lacquer job done in 1982 on my TD, there would be no comparison in the perceived depth.  Dad didn't do this one because he died in 76.  Unbeknownst to most, true lacquer is made from insects.  Yah, bugs.  Luster is supreme and glass like with lacquer properly done, but the depth ain't gonna be close to what I'm talkin'.

             Now illegal, I have a quart for touch-up lac on the TD, but unfortunately, she's now needing a repaint. One of the side affects of bug juice is it continues to cure, never stopping. Just like concrete, eventually it will crack and fail in numerous ways.
          Breaks my heart.
          Life's that way...........p