Danai's Crosley

  • butch46988
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2012
      First, WELCOME to the FUN world of Crosley.

      Most things about a Crosley are pretty straight forward, but there are a few items that can get complicated and sometimes a little less than cooperative. The GOOD NEWS is we're all here to help you! (I know, if that's the good news, what could the bad news possibly be?)

      The fact that the engine is running rough is neither a surprise or not necessarily to be a major problem. Especially if the engine has been sitting for a long time.

      My usual advise is, get the engine warmed up and let it cool down, several times. The heat/cool cycles goes a long way towards freeing up stuck rings and re-seating the valves.

      A good tune up session, adjusting the valves, checking/changing spark plugs, checking/setting points and timing can work wonders and although it can be intimidating, it can be tamed down with a little explaining. The first time can be tough, but it gets easier as you practice.

      There are a whole lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks here (but then you also have ME) at your service.

      Seriously, if you have too much problem figuring out something (especially in the service manual), give us a call and I'll either explain it clearly or confuse you to no end.

      Again, WELCOME!

      Butch and Fonda Williams, Service Motors Inc., 1-574-664-3313, www.servicemotors.net

      Danai Lamb wrote:
      I have always had used, old cars. Two or three of them I worked on with an old boyfriend, but most recently bought a 1950 Crosley wagon, thinking: I can do this! Alas, that boyfriend is long gone, and man oh man DO I HAVE COLD FEET. For some reason, especially after reading the shop manual.

      She is in my garage, and I feel horrible that she should suffer from my being a dilettante, who was probably only better as an apprentice.

      And my goal had been a simple one: get it running smoothly (as it now runs really really roughly) before doing any cosmetic work.

      A new (terrified) Crosley owner,

      Danai
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
        Pour a can of Seafoam into the gas tank.....it is one of the few snake oils that truly does what it boasts.  It will be an elixir to the carb pistons and valves.
        Running rough also could easily mean a tune up or at the least an inspection of the points.  If you can manage to keep her running in the dark...very dark...look for blue running across the wires...that is uncontained leaking electricity and a sure sign the plug wires are bad.  Spark plug gaps need checking and if you replace them I am an old school believer in Champion being the best for older cars.

        Keep us posted you have a wealth of Crosley knowledge ready boost your status to Crosley expert!  Seriously, Crosleys and most cars of the era are some of the easiest to work on due to their very basic nature.

      • Peter Berard
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
            Sea Foam still evokes memories. T'was the color of my 1946 Ford Rag Top.
           At least till Dad painted her black in approximately 1957, and this was the first time I ever heard of the clear coating.  This was, and still is the best application of paint I've ever seen. Looked like black Jell-O two inches deep. Really don't know if this idea originated from him, but the whole town of Waterville drooled when it was seen.
            Must have perked his body shop business................p
          ----- Original Message -----To: Crosley@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:47 AM
          Subject: =CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB= re: Danai's Crosley

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2012
            OK Peter,
            You have tweeked my inquiring mind!  I may be mistaken but what is called clear coat today is a two stage process relying on the finish coat to add luster to the otherwise dull first stage.

            What you suggest is a finish coat on top of a finish coat and in the day, that may have been lacquer....not sure what production paint was by 1957.

            Can and would you elaborate on details of what your Dad did?

          • Peter Berard
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2012
              Hey Robert,

               Hummmm, I don't think it was lacquer because I'd have remembered my sore arms from the rubbing. I have to guess Dad would have laid the clear on after a setting measured period for the black.  For sure we didn't sand between finishes.

                No, I'd have to say it was synthetic enamel of some sorts. Dad was born in 1898 and spent most of his adult life in the car repair and body shop business. He was up to date with all the tricks.  Hip? The results were truly outstanding.  He made a study of painting.

              Having seen the results of  a real lacquer job done in 1982 on my TD, there would be no comparison in the perceived depth.  Dad didn't do this one because he died in 76.  Unbeknownst to most, true lacquer is made from insects.  Yah, bugs.  Luster is supreme and glass like with lacquer properly done, but the depth ain't gonna be close to what I'm talkin'.

                 Now illegal, I have a quart for touch-up lac on the TD, but unfortunately, she's now needing a repaint. One of the side affects of bug juice is it continues to cure, never stopping. Just like concrete, eventually it will crack and fail in numerous ways.
              Breaks my heart.
              Life's that way...........p