Tour the battleship USS Iowa.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2012
      California CCOC members:
      interested in an expert tour of the historic WW II Battleship USS Iowa?The USS Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-61))
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_%28BB-61%29%29> was taken
      out of mothballs last October and is currently berthed in Richmond Harbor to prepare her for her last journey down to Los Angeles Harbor later this Spring, where she will serve as a permanent WW II memorial exhibit at Berth 87 in the Port of Los Angeles (see http://www.battleshipiowa.org . While still in Richmond, she is open to the public on weekends for the last few months of her soon-to-end 21-year stay in the SF Bay Area.

      There are no regular tours but car buff Johannes Hoech will lead a group on Saturday, February 25 (rain date is March 3rd). Time: 11:00 a.m. next to the gangway leading up to the ship at 1411 Harbour Way South, Richmond, between Chandler Ave and Scott Ave. Park next to the ship. Donations: $10 per adult, $5 per child.

      The tour should last around 90 minutes, more or less. If interested, please RSVP directly to Johannes Hoech at
      johannes@... with the number in your party.

      Some Navy veterans and Naval Architects will be along. Otherwise, docent-led tours are not available on the USS Iowa.

      The 11:00am 'start' is at the ship's gangway.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2012
        Ice cream social, USS Iowa tour
        Posted by: "Chris Thompson" chris@... ctminortraveller
        Date: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:59 pm ((PST))

        Hey all!

        This Ice Cream Social and Battleship Tour is shaping up to be quite an
        event! We have had lots of interest and now with four car clubs involved we should have a terrific and diverse group of car people attending.

        Be sure and send me an email in the next day or two to confirm your spot
        here at my shop in Richmond for the Lappert's Ice Cream Social part. I have
        lots of room for car display and lots to look at inside so make sure I know that you are coming so that you can have some ice cream to walk around with! I am thinking now that we can start @ 1pm since there will be so many new faces and cars to get to know. This way we'll have at least a couple of hours to hang out before the big parade over to the Battleship!

        Please feel free to forward this email to your friends but be sure and tell them to shoot me an RSVP email before the end of THIS week!

        My address is:
        23rd & Broadway Auto Center, 51C Broadway, entrance around the corner @ !00 23rd St., Richmond, CA 94804
        Chris@... and my number is 510.232.8833

        THANKS!!
        See you here!
        Chris

        ==================

        Ice cream social, USS Iowa tour
        Posted by: "Chris Thompson" chris@... ctminortraveller

        Hello again;
        It appears now that all who would like to attend the Ice Cream Social part
        of the USS Iowa activities on February 25th will need to take note of these times:

        Please feel free to come to my shop at 1:00pm for a leisurely tour, kick
        back and eat ice cream as we ALL must leave @ 3:15 SHARP parade style for the 5-minute drive to the dock. The Iowa folks want us there a little before they actually close to get organized, etc.

        Upon arrival to my building, please enter on the 23rd Street side. There is a big black gate leading into the yard and you'll see the cars backed in place on display. Parking should be on both sides of the yards to accommodate as many cars as possible. If we need to fill up the middle that would be fine later as we all are leaving at the same time anyway! There is the possibility of some overflow at my neighbors shop as well should we need that.

        Again, PLEASE send me an email right away (address below) as to how many of you plan to
        attend so that I can inform Lappert's, our sponsor, of how much Ice Cream we will need.

        Thanks again!
        Chris
        Chris@...

        California CCOC members:
        interested in an expert tour of the historic WW II Battleship USS Iowa?The USS Iowa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-61))
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_%28BB-61%29%29> was taken
        > out of mothballs last October and is currently berthed in Richmond Harbor to prepare her for her last journey down to Los Angeles Harbor later this Spring, where she will serve as a permanent WW II memorial exhibit at Berth 87 in the Port of Los Angeles (see http://www.battleshipiowa.org . While still in Richmond, she is open to the public on weekends for the last few months of her soon-to-end 21-year stay in the SF Bay Area.

        There are no regular tours but car buff Johannes Hoech will lead a group on Saturday, February 25 (rain date is March 3rd). Time: 11:00 a.m. next to the gangway leading up to the ship at 1411 Harbour Way South, Richmond, between Chandler Ave and Scott Ave. Park next to the ship. Donations: $10 per adult, $5 per child.

        The tour should last around 90 minutes, more or less. If interested, please RSVP with the number in your party.