'Twas the Night After Christmas.

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
      'Twas the night after Christmas,
      And out in the shed
      Sat a tired old Crosley, Its battery dead.

      Its fenders were rusted, The floorpan had holes;
      The seats and the mats
      Had been eaten by voles.

      The tires had dry-rot, The gas tank was leaking;
      A turn of the wheel
      Sent tie rods to creaking.

      So I put on my coat
      With a weight on my heart,
      And went out to the shed To get it to start.

      The engine turned over. There arose such a clatter,
      I knew from the sound
      It was tower-gear chatter.

      And under the dashboard There came a bright flash.
      The wiring harness
      Had just turned to ash!

      "I've had it with Crosleys!",
      I finally swore -
      "Enough is too much!
      I can't take any more!"

      When from the rear seat
      A voice with a twang
      From the state of New York
      Then hollowly rang:

      "How you doin'," I heard,
      As he tapped on my shoulder.
      "I'm Ed Herzog," he said As the wires still smoldered.

      "This one can be saved; There's no reason to grieve.
      All you need is some faith.
      Man, you've got to believe!"

      "A hammer, some duct tape -
      Get me more tools.
      When we work on these cars,
      We just make up the rules."

      "We'll get her cranked over.
      No way that she'll stall;
      Still, stand over there With your back to the wall."

      A cough and a sputter, The cacophony stunning -
      I couldn't believe it! The Crosley was running!

      The ghost winked at me And said (kicking a tire)
      "Whatever you do,
      Do not touch this wire!"

      Ed Herzog then vanished,
      And I saw with a start
      That when the smoke cleared,
      He had left me some parts.

      So I opened the shed door
      And let the hood down,
      Then slid into place
      To go out on the town.

      And I thought to myself as I clashed second gear:
      Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year!
    • Dave Potts
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
        And who is the author?
        Sat a tired old Crosley, Its battery dead.

        Its fenders were rusted, The floorpan had holes;
        The seats and the mats
        Had been eaten by voles.

        The tires had dry-rot, The gas tank was leaking;
        A turn of the wheel
        Sent tie rods to creaking.

        So I put on my coat
        With a weight on my heart,
        And went out to the shed To get it to start.

        The engine turned over. There arose such a clatter,
        I knew from the sound
        It was tower-gear chatter.

        And under the dashboard There came a bright flash.
        The wiring harness
        Had just turned to ash!

        "I've had it with Crosleys!",
        I finally swore -
        "Enough is too much!
        I can't take any more!"

        When from the rear seat
        A voice with a twang
        From the state of New York

      • MerriTaylor@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
          The seats and the mats
          Had been eaten by voles.

          what pry tell is a vole?

        • Richard Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
            This is soooo cool....I will copy and save this one.
            Thank you all, from E. Washington State.
            Happy New Year
            Rich W.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 26, 2011
              --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, MerriTaylor@... wrote:

              > The seats and the mats
              > Had been eaten by voles.
              >
              > what pry tell is a vole?

              =
              VOLE, from Wikipedia:

              A vole is a small rodent resembling a mouse but with a stouter body, a shorter hairy tail, a slightly rounder head, smaller ears and eyes, and differently formed molars (high-crowned and with angular cusps instead of low-crowned and with rounded cusps). There are approximately 155 species of voles. They are sometimes known as meadow mice or field mice in North America. Vole species form the subfamily Arvicolinae with the lemmings and the muskrats.