Re: Hand brake Photo

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 15, 2011
      In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "lftrn97" <lftrn97@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have a picture of a postwar hand brake? I have one that came with a Devin project that is 13 1/2" long, springloaded with a thumb or grip release at the top that is teardrop shaped. It may not be Crosley as the car was an unfinished street project and had a couple of parts that were pirated from other vehicles, If it is Crosley I'll be happy to sell if you need it.

      Thanks.

      ==========

      I've seen small handles with thumb releases at swap meets but never knew what they fit. My parking-brake handles are all painted strap iron with a V-edge welded to bar stock at a 90-degree angle. There's no thumb release; they lock in place by means of a basic sawtooth catch. Could you send a photo?
    • Geoff and Luan Male
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 16, 2011
        Both my post-wars have a D type steel handle in the floor in front of the driver's seat that is pulled up to engage and has teeth on it's rear aspect that catch on the floor itself to hold it in place.

        A Home Away From Home

        Phone:  (812) 594-2374
        Email:           awayfromhome@...

        www.AHomeAwayFromHome.petfinder.com

      • Peter Berard
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 17, 2011
           My 52 Super Sport has a Tee handle that was a stock piece for other American cars, mounted just to the right of the steering column..................p

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 18, 2011
            I missed the photo but what is being described is an English style "fly off" brake handle...common on most cars of the 50s 60s and 70s.  If I recall correct VW had the same sytle and no doubt other European car makers....pushing the button releases the brake for a "fly off start"....

          • Terrance Robinson
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 19, 2011

              I am having a time figuring out how to send a note on the Crosley list. This is a test--
              Thanks--
              Terrance Robinson
              Kaneohe, HI

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 20, 2011

                   It worked

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 20, 2011
                  Terry
                  Both "tests" were posted to the list...hope that helps.

                • Terrance Robinson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 20, 2011
                    gracias!

                    A Model of Christian Charity
                    "We are all responsible (institutions and individuals) to each other and to serve the common good" --Gov John Winthrop
                    "This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in." -- Theodore Roosevelt

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 20, 2011
                          If anyone needs pictures of the fly off parking brake handles, I'll be glad to take pictures of the many variations on my cars and post.

                          Indecently, the fly off brake is set by pressing the button in 'whilst' holding the lever applied (up) on my English roadsters.  When the Lemans start takes place, the release happens when the handle is snatched up and turned loose.
                          No button pressing required...............pete
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 22, 2011
                          Exactly Peter...I was a little ahead of myself.  Lifting releases lifting and button press sets...most clever in any event!

                        • Peter Berard
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 14, 2011
                               I have two post war Crosleys and have owned two others in the past.  The cars I have delt with have had two different devices. The 48 truck came with a handle that is quite like the door handle, except it connects to a notched rod that runs vertically through the floor by the driver's right leg about 6 inches in front of the seat.

                              The other in in my 52 Super Sport and is a common looking 50s Tee handle that exits through a ratchet mount at the right side on the steering column...............p