Wayward Crosley and Reliant--New Hampshire

  • Terrance
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2011
      IMG_9945.JPG(3.73 MB) IMG_9946.JPG(1.90 MB) IMG_9950.JPG(2.91 MB) IMG_9948.JPG(2.29 MB) IMG_9947.JPG(3.44 MB) IMG_9949.JPG(2.01 MB)

      Hope these pictures get through. We were coming through NH and just off Exit #32 of Interstate #93 on road # (to the West ) 118 in North Woodstock, NH on the south side of the road is a "car museum" which is really a tourist gift shop. Outside in the parking lot were parked a green English 3 wheeled Reliant and a 48? yellow Crosley station wagon--both for show stopper effect and not for sale. THe Hemmings Motor News on the windows was not too accurate--notice the production figures on the Crosley and the right hand drive Reliant of only 15 years. I had seen one as a child in England--we had a picture--and it was basically a motorcycle engine set atop the single front wheel which also did the steering, SO, I think they were in production about 40 years or so. I had tried to buy one to bring home in the 90's but couldn't bring it to the US because of "safety issues" -the same reason it couldn't be sold in Europe. We visited Hemmings Motor News headquarters in Bennington, VT later and they had no idea about Crosleys , but found the good article on 2010 and a smaller one on the 2 cylinders a few years earlier. Interestingly, they had a Crosley Shelvadore in their car collection similar to the one my parents traded their ice box in on! They also had a BMW Isetta 300- like the one I used to pass on the way to school. At 12 hp it was the successor to the $1000 minicar that was the Crosleys. They also had a beautiful metal model (one) 51 Henry J the same green as my Mother's 51 Kaiser--which I bought!

      Terrance A Robinson
      Kaneohe, HI