Paul Gorrell featured in Hemmings.

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2011
      The latest issue of Hemmings.com had this story on Mr. Gorrell:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      About 25 years ago, a fellow Crosley enthusiast brought something unique to Crosley collector and historian Paul Gorrell of Burlington, Iowa: a dealership sign made from the outer four inches of either side of a 1949 Crosley convertible, welded together and shortened.

      "It came from down South somewhere, we never found out where," Paul said. "The guy said to see what I could do with it, and I didn't want to let him down."

      So sometime in the last quarter-century, Paul naturally had the idea to turn the sign into a functional, rideable scooter. Naturally. The biggest challenge would be to stuff a drivetrain inside, where none had been meant to reside previously. Paul said he cobbled it all together from some Yamaha, Crosley, and Subaru parts – "Whatever could fit in there" – with an engine made "mostly" from a Yamaha and a single cylinder cut out of the middle of a Crosley engine. Coil springs and shock absorbers serve as the suspension, all mounted to one side so the other side would still look mostly like a sign, complete with Crosley hubcaps on the wheels.

      Paul said he just put it all together last spring and that it runs well. "I'd go anywhere in it – I'd go 50 miles in it," he
      said. "Actually, that's what I usually put on it when I take it to shows."

      He also said it gets more attention than anything else he typically takes to shows. "I've never showed anything that made people's feet stop walking so much. But I also take two pet chickens to shows with me and let them roost on the steering wheel, so that might be why people like it so much."

      (Written by Daniel Strohl for Hemmings.com)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Comments are welcome there. I added the following:

      Lou Rugani says:
      September 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm

      I'm honored to be a longtime admirer and friend of the estimable Mr. Gorrell and his many marvelous, even stunning, achievements.

      Paul Gorrell, who I believe could head up any engineering department anywhere in the world, is an inspiration to all fortunate enough to know him.

      Had the times been coincidental with Paul in a leadership role within Powel Crosley's research-and-development team, I'm convinced Crosley Motors, Inc. would have lasted indefinitely.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2011
        AMEN

[...]

      • Geoff and Luan Male
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2011