Garth Richards of Carson City, Nevada.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2011
      Like most collectors, developer Garth Richards of Carson City, Nev. started small with a 1955 Ford Thunderbird.
      Now he has over 200 vehicles and automobilia like gas pumps, signs and juke boxes.

      Richards' taste runs to rare, low production models such as his Crosleys. Garth says "I went to school in the 50's and 60's, so that's what I like."

      Most of these have remained out of sight in his private museum, opened to the public only occasionally for charity fundraisers.

      Next Thursday, 150 of them will be on the green at Silver Oak Country Club in Carson City. Garth Richards is letting most of his collection go. Many may end up far away. Buyers are expected from Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Europe.

      Some of the proceeds from the sale will help support local charities including the Millennium Scholarship a memorial to his close friend Governor Kenny Guinn.

      "It took me two years to make this decision," he says, "but at my age I can't do all the things I want to do. I don't have to sell them, but I can't drive them all anyway."

      For the time being, he's keeping about 50 of his most prized cars, enough to satisfy his passion for years yet.