Lexus attacks two vintage cars.

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2011
      This isn't exactly Crosley-related, but there's a lesson here somewhere.

      Thanks to Matt Hardigree for this horror story, and I have a similar story from the 1990s that I'll relate at the end.

      Our vintage cars are never truly safe from the beige plague.

      This happened in California on Wednesday, June 8, 2011. An ambulance company was posted in a parking lot about 200 feet away. A driver was exiting off busy Alondra Blvd. and accelerated up the driveway into a parking lot.

      She may have confused the throttle for the brake, or her foot slipped off the brake onto the gas. Atany rate, she jammed the accelerator, drove through a planter box and rammed the Pontiac, which slid into a modified '40 Ford convertible alongside it. The result: a totaled Pontiac Lemans hardtop and a severely damaged, if hotrodded, '40 Ford.

      In the 1990s I left a car meet early, only to learn later that several other drivers had decided for whatever reason to move their cars from a corner location there.

      Moments later, an out-of-control car sped right into those same parking spots, which were now empty. Premonition, perhaps, but since then I never park in a potentially vulnerable spot.

      =Lou=

      (Photos of this multiple wreck are posted in Miscellaneous.)
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2011
        I saw photos of that crash, and was greatly upset by the horrid images.
        I had the unfortunate opportunity to watch a similar incident at a car show just outside Chico, CA. An elderly lady missed a turn and plowed through my friends' 36 Chevy at 35MPH. Pushed it quite a few feet, into the vhecy next to it, and almost into my Buick. she was driving a later 70's Cadillac, could have been a lot worse.
        -Charlie