Garth Richards' Gasporter.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2011
      A Crosley Gasporter has been in developer Garth Richards' garage in Carson City, Nevada, one of the largest collections in the nation of some 200 vehicles, the result of 37 years of collecting by Richards. His collection remained a relatively well-kept secret because "I didn't want the publicity for a number of reasons, like vandalism," Richards said.

      Richards plans to auction most of them off over four days starting Aug. 25, but not the Gasporter.

      The auction could draw thousands of car enthusiasts, buyers and visitors to Carson City.

      Bill Harrah died with more than 1,000 vehicles in his collection and no instructions to his heirs on what to do next.
      "He made no provisions," Richards said, "and look what happened."

      He'd hand them over to a museum "if somebody would buy the land out here (at Silver Oak) and build the building. I'd give them the cars."

      He says he'll keep his favorites, including his Crosley Gasporter. Silver ran Silver Auctions and the annual Hot August Nights auction in Reno for 21 years. Unlike the old Harrah collection or collections belonging to people like Jay Leno, Richards' focus is on vehicles from the '50s and `60s. "That's the cars I grew up with."

      Richards' rare Crosley Gasporter fuel tanker was designed to fill up private aircraft at small airports. It holds just 200 gallons of fuel.
      Richards said he's keeping that one because of its uniqueness.

      There will be probably 200 or more other vehicles and automobilia auctioned to a minimum of 1,000 buyers at Silver Oak Golf Course, Richards' residential and commercial development at the northern end of Carson City.

      Day One will be devoted to inspection by buyers and visitors, followed by three days of auctions. Several cars will be auctioned for charity.