New-old-stock barn-fresh Crosley stove.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22 9:14 AM
      John Van Tighem shuttered his Great Falls, Montana business, Great Falls Sheet Metal Works at 214 5th Street South in the 1970s. His heirs will finally sell the contents. Van Tighem continued to putter around when a longtime customer needed help.

      The building and contents will go for auction from 9 a.m. Saturday. So many things are socked away in the building that the auction may last past 6 p.m., even at two separate locations in the building at the same time.

      Van Tighem's sheet metal and plumbing shop also sold Crosley appliances.
      The sale includes cut-out figures promoting Crosley merchandise, service manuals, antique clocks and a Crosley electric range that still is in the box.

      Tom said that about half of the items in the sale came from the building's early days. Some of the stuff is probably from the '20s.

      Historic Preservation Officer Ellen Sievert said the building reminds her in some ways of stores in historic Virginia City that were left virtually untouched for decades.

      "I think it's totally overwhelming," said Linda Van Tighem, Jerry's widow. "I've never seen so much stuff."

      You CCOCers in the area might want to take a glimpse at all these time-capsule discoveries this weekend.

      We'll post this on our WCC affiliate site.

      Enjoy the weekend!