1950 Roll down windows

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
      Is there any chance that Crosley factory would have converted the
      doors with the one piece windows into two piece window doors?

      Crosley introduced the Super in 1950 with roll down windows (one
      piece). Later in the year they switched to a fixed vent window (two
      piece). Does anyone know how long the one pieces windows were used?

      My car was build in July 1950. The car appears to have been
      originally painted gay tan but the doors appear to have painted
      another color under the gay tan. One door looks blue and the other
      seafoam green. The sound deadener inside both doors is also painted
      gay tan but the window crank mechanism is painted black. The
      drivers door still has the front bracket for the one piece window
      and there is a piece of metal brazed in to support the bottom of the
      vent window for the two piece window. The passenger door doesn't
      have the front bracket but does have the metal piece brazed in for
      the vent window.

      My guess is there was a problem with the one piece windows, possibly
      the customers complainting that it was to heavy to roll up. Crosley
      then made a running change and started pulling the doors off the
      finished cars to make the change for the new windows. Since they
      had to braze the new vent support, the doors would have to be
      repainted. This would explain why the colors on my doors don't match.

      Could this theory be correct or is it just wishful thinking to
      explain why my doors are a different color!!

      Larry
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
        Larry its a good theory IMHO but I doubt anyone will
        be able to confirm the fact of the matter. Seems to
        me that any doner to be modified doors would be in
        relative short supply.
        As for OEM color I beleive you need to look
        elsewhere...behind the heater, under the dash beneath
        other covers...headliner, rear panals etc. Few folks
        go to the extreme measure of disassembly when
        changeing colors or repainting.
        robert kirk

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • lhabarth@mdiwristwatch.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
          Thanks for the reply Robert, I appreciate your opinion.  I am sure the original color is tan. I didn't mention before but it was repainted turquoise/light blue over the original tan sometime before 1988 when I bought the car. I have started disassembling the car and everything looks original.  The headliner and interior has been removed and the tan paint is everwhere: under dash, behind interior panels, underside of roof, etc.  Behind the voltage regulator is perfect shiny tan paint.  I even found the walnut decal on the tailgate under the chrome license plate light.

          Since my car is a Super and should have came with roll down windows, I can't think of a reason why somebody would have replaced the doors.  The body is very solid so I don't think somebody had to replaced rotten out doors.

          My theory would be that the donor doors came off the finished cars still at the factory.  The doors would then go to a work area for modification. Then off to the paint area were they grabbed the first available modified left and right door, hence my mismatched doors.

          Also, there is no tan paint on any of the window mechanism, door latch assembly and fasteners, lock cylinder or rubber mouldings.

          I'd be happy to hear any other theories since I am stumped!

          Larry

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2006
            "lhabarth@..." wrote:

            Thanks for the reply
            Robert, I appreciate your
            opinion. I am sure the
            original color is tan. I
            didn't mention before but
            it was repainted
            turquoise/light blue over
            the original tan sometime
            before 1988 when I bought
            the car. I have started
            disassembling the car and
            everything looks original.
            The headliner and interior
            has been removed and the
            tan paint is everwhere:
            under dash, behind interior
            panels, underside of roof,
            etc. Behind the voltage
            regulator is perfect shiny
            tan paint. I even found
            the walnut decal on the
            tailgate under the chrome
            license plate light.

            Since my car is a Super and
            should have came with roll
            down windows, I can't think
            of a reason why somebody
            would have replaced the
            doors. The body is very
            solid so I don't think
            somebody had to replaced
            rotten out doors.

            My theory would be that the
            donor doors came off the
            finished cars still at the
            factory. The doors would
            then go to a work area for
            modification. Then off to
            the paint area were they
            grabbed the first available
            modified left and right
            door, hence my mismatched
            doors.

            Also, there is no tan paint
            on any of the window
            mechanism, door latch
            assembly and fasteners,
            lock cylinder or rubber
            mouldings.

            I'd be happy to hear any
            other theories since I am
            stumped!

            > Larry

            Larry <lhabarth@...> wrote:

            Is there any chance that
            Crosley factory would have
            converted the doors with
            the one piece windows into
            two piece
            window doors?

            Crosley introduced the
            Super in 1950 with roll
            down windows (one piece).
            Later in the year they
            switched to a fixed vent
            window (two piece). Does
            anyone know how long the
            one piece windows were
            used?

            My car was built in July
[...]
            it was too heavy to roll
            up.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~R:~~~~~~~~~~~~
            I think the reasons are
            lost in history but I'm
            thinking that maybe there
            was a fit problem with the
            big one-piece window, or
            maybe (and this sounds more
            realistic) there was water
            leakage happening - or
            maybe Crosley, really
            trying to economize by that
            point, found it cheaper
            somehow to make that
            change, although I can't
            imagine how, with the extra
            work involved.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            then made a running change
            and started pulling the
            doors off the finished cars
            to make the change for the
            new windows. Since they
            had to braze the new vent
            support, the doors would
            have to be repainted. This
            would explain why the
            colors on my doors don't
            match.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~R:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            One thing we did hear from
            former Crosley employees at
            the 1992 employee reunion
            in Marion IN was that
            quality control was
            paramount, and that just
            one inspector could shut
            down the whole Crosley
            assembly line until the
            problem was corrected.
            That flies right in the
            face of those over the
            years who have said that
            Crosleys were thrown
            together just because the
            prices were low.
            So maybe it was a running
            change due to quality
            problems.
            I can relate a similar
            story at Packard at around
            that same time, where all
            their 2-door Mayfair
            hardtops leaked terribly
            around the windows, and
            this went on for a while
            before it was corrected.
            Kaiser never did correct
            their leakage problems in
            nine years.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Could this theory be
            correct or is it just
            wishful thinking to explain
            why my doors are a
            different color!!

            Larry
          • G foster
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2006
              I was just thinking may be it was not a change of roll up to roll up but may
              be the order came in for a super and all they had at hand was the standard
              model with sliders?how hard is it to just change out the doors and put on
              that chrome name plate ?just curious what are the differences between the
              two.ill bet they were trying to get rid of the standards that may be slower
              sellers.Gary Foster
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 9, 2006
                Hi Gary,

                I gave that idea some though also.  It would be easy enough to change the doors on a standard to turn it into a Super.  But the doors and front fenders would need the second piece of stainless trim added in addition to the Super script on the fenders.  Also, the standard has the hood ornament and no fender ornaments but the Super has the opposite - fender ornaments and no hood ornament.  This means either replacing the hood or filling the holes and repainting it. The interior is also different between the standard and Super.  All this seems like alot of work for the factory.

                My car's doors were definitely converted from one piece windows not sliders because the front bracket for the one piece window is still attached.

                I agree that the standards were probably slow sellers but I wonder if Crosley forced the dealers to take the standards before filling their orders for the Supers.

                I wonder if Crosley stop making the standards after the Super was introducing in late June 1950?

                Larry