From Sokubo:

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 9:25 AM
      From: sokubo@...

      Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:08 PM

      I have very fond memories of the tiny Crosley that my dad drove to the airport to work for many many years! Another interestring thing is that my dad is from Burlington, Iowa! He grew up there and his sister still lives there. He is 90 yrs old and still very active. He was very interested in your Crosley collection and sent pictures of a Crosley that he "built". He is hopeful that his sister gets in touch with you and gives you the photograph. His name is Paul Ziglar and his sister's name is Dorothy French. I think dad is just a little envious of your interest in his favorite car of all times. He would love to visit, but he and my mom do not travel much anymore. Hope you both can somehow get in touch.
      =====================

      It's a Tractor -It's a Truck- It's a Crosley Car

      by Paul Gorrell
      11306 Mill Dam Road, Burlington, Iowa
      52601-8503

      The only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys! The only transformer available in 1950 was a Crosley FarmORoad. I've been told there were only 400 built. I watched the only one in our area go from new down to a parted-out ball of rust that was never for sale, until one day when I traded a 1949 Crosley Hot Shot for it. Then I restored it back to a like-new green F.O.R. again.

      This agreement in the trade was that I would bring it back for him to see when finished. So before we even picked the tools up out of it, I put on the license plates and my three sons and I hit the highway, driving it back to the original owner's house. His wife gave him a real bad loud lecture for letting it turn into a parted-out ball of rust in the first place. So we got the heck out of there flying like sixty in the F.O.R. While going down the highway, a black Chevrolet pulled right out in front of us. I went for the shoulder telling the three boys to hang on tight, but there was not enough shoulder. Next was the deep grass in the ditch, but it had big rocks in it which tore out the front axle, making it unsteerable. It went up a big bank and rolled over back down the bank. The boys used their arms for seat belts and my shoulders for a roll bar. The tools and hood went flying to where it got smashed. But we didn't t-bone that Chevy! I don't think the driver even saw us and I was too busy to get his number! Not much crash protection in an F.O.R.! I got the front axle and the rest of the pieces and piled them on the F.O.R. I had the three boys stay with it in the ditch so the highway clean-up crew wouldn't trash-bag it. I walked cross-country, waded the deep creek to home, drove the truck back, winched it on, hauled it home and re-restored it immediately.

      Later we hauled the F.O.R. to Maryland to trade for a Crosley 4x4 Pup or military Jeep. We restored the Pup and took it back east to a show in a few months where the man I got it from would see it. I later bought a 1948 Playboy car from him.

      I still needed an F.O.R., so when we were at Evel Knievel's jump site in Snake River Canyon near Twin Falls, Idaho on the way back from Portland, Oregon with three Crosleys on my trailer, two boys from Michigan told me their dad had an F.O.R. for sale. We got 2300 miles home to Iowa with that load. Then we went to Michigan to get the F.O.R. It served its life as a floor scrubber and was retired with a driver who found out he was zoned to not have a vehicle that old. So we bought it for $115 and added it to our load, then headed for the national Crosley Show in Wauseon, Ohio to be there when it started the next morning.

      We used this F.O.R. about like it was when we got it. My kids learned to drive in it. We used it for landscaping, mowing, lawn rolling, pushing snow, and plowing the garden. We were always searching for a full set of original equipment for the F.O.R. I finally loaded the last piece of equipment on my trailer near Atlanta, Georgia a year ago. Then in a few months of winter spare time I restored the F.O.R. and each piece of equipment. We found that an F.O.R. with equipment has twice as many pieces and weighs twice as much as a regular Crosley car. I have the equipment fastened together so I can drive it all in one piece. Maybe you saw it at one of the many shows in the five states where we show it annually. It's one of our 50 different Crosleys in our world's largest Crosley collection. We have every year, color, and body style, including nine prototypes, Crosley motorcycles, snow mobile, 4x4 Jeeps and a threewheeled-looking prototype 1937 first Crosley car. We collect seven brands of cars, gas engines, tractors and anything real interesting.

      This F.O.R. and forty of my items will be on display at the annual Southeast Iowa Antique Gas Engine, Tractor, Hobby and Car Show and Flea Market at West Burlington, Iowa, the first full weekend in June. See GEM ads or contact me, Paul Gorrell, 11306 Mill Dam Road, Burlington, Iowa 52601. Telephone: (319) 753-1837.