Powel Crosley sold eggs, too.

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2011
      A great place for a meet:

      The Crosley Fish and Wildlife Area
      2010 South St. Hwy. 3
      North Vernon, IN 47265
      (812) 346-5596

      Michael Banks sent us a 1944 ad (posted in our Powel Crosley, Jr. photo album from microfilm) where Powel was selling quail eggs from his then-Sleepy Hollow property in North Vernon, now the Crosley Fish and Wildlife Area, made up of 4228 acres of rolling hills, ponds and the Muskatuck River. Approximately 80 percent of the property is wooded. Most of the terrain is covered with steep to gently-rolling hills. About seven miles of the Muscatatuck River flows through the property, which also has thirteen ponds from 2-14 acres.

      Crosley Fish and Wildlife Area Map
      History:

      Crosley Fish and Wildlife Area gets its name from Powel Crosley, Jr., who originally owned the property, purchasing the land in 1931 and maintained it as a private hunting and fishing area. The DFW purchased the land in 1958.

      Note: no motorized vehicles, horses or bicycles are permitted beyond county roads, but CCOC members may drive Crosley vehicles on approved trails with advance permission.

      Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area contains 13 ponds that range in size from 2-14 acres. About seven miles of the Muscatatuck River flows through the property.
      Fishing is allowed; no check-in required.
      Largemouth bass size limit is 14 inches. All other bag and size limits apply.
      Eight of the thirteen ponds have ramps (electric motors only.)

      The 4228 acres of rolling hills, ponds and the Muskatuck River attracts a wide variety of song birds, hawks, waterfowl, turkeys and deer, providing plenty of opportunities for hiking, bird and wildlife-watching.

      Crosley amenities/rules:

      Dog training is allowed in areas E-1 and E-2.
      Hiking is permitted; no marked trails are available.
      Bird and wildlife watching - song birds, hawks, waterfowl, turkeys and deer. Mushrooms, berries and nuts may be gathered; no removal of plants, animals, rocks or fossils is allowed.
      Boating and canoeing is allowed. (Crosley has no boat rentals.)
    • MikeBanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17 7:42 PM
        I was surprised to learn that quail eggs are still a popular commodity among some Americans. A woman I know buys them buy mail, for cooking and for hatching and raising.
        --Mike