Tom Collins, WCYB (Bristol VA) joins our fraternity.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2011
      Those across the region who restore old cars know it's sometimes just as exciting to find out the history of the car, as is it to bring it back to life.

      Like a 1950 Crosley Wagon that's currently being restored. Part of the history was found on the windshield: an old parking permit for WCYB.
      That's all it took to join in the investigation.

      It hasn't taken well known car restorer Tom Collins to get busy on his classic 1950 Crosley. Crosley was an industrial innovator of his time. Collins found his one in a barn after calling a friend.

      "Crosley is a small car and there's not very many around, I said maybe I'll try to find a Crosley. He called me one day and said there's a Crosley down in Johnson City. It belongs to a retired old railroad man that got it, he thought from Merrill Moore," Collins said.

      The same Merrill Moore that anchored our news for 38 years?

      As they looked over the old Crosley, the clue was there in the front windshield, an old logo that was first introduced in the late 50's and he plans to keep it on there when it's fully restored.

      But just how tough is it to find parts for a Crosley?

      "They made quite a few parts for them but they're up north mostly. I think a Crosley was built, the factory was built up in Ohio and that's where most of the cars are at. The first model was a '39 and they were two cylinder air-cooled motors. They ran somewhere around 30 to 40 miles to the gallon back then," Collins said.

      It seems this innovator Powel Crosley Junior was ahead of his time, especially when these little cars last this long.