Auto-lite MDH 4002 3M Starter

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
      David, my cross-indexing turns up a reference on this number to 1957-1959 Thermo-King truck refrigeration units. Crosley CIBA engines were used for a time in that application, among others.

      The standard Auto-lite starting motor numbers for 1946-1952 Crosleys were MAK-4027 and MZ-4147.

      The differences:

      The former's brush-spring tension is 38-61 ounces with a 5000 rpm no-load test and 7 foot-pounds of torque at 520 amps; the latter's brush-spring tension is 42-53 ounces with a 4,300 rpm NLT and 4.4 ft.-lbs. of torque at 280 amps. Both have a 70-amp draw at 5.5 volts at NLT.

      The former was no longer factory-installed after 1948, but some of the latter were already being installed in 1946.

      Hope this helps. We'll post this at our CCOC Crosley Service site: www.onelist.com/group/CrosleyService .

      -Lou-

      =CCOC=

      --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "drlamber" <mljdrl@...> wrote:

      I just bought a Crosley engine from an estate sale, and it has a small starter with these markings: Autolite MDH 4002M 3M. Is anyone familiar with this starter? Is it 12 volt? I usually use a gear reduction starter, and this looks like a neat alternative.

      > Thanks, David
    • David Lambert
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011

        Thanks Lou that does help.