Re: =CROSLEY= Starter

  • David R. Lambert
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011

      Thanks Kirk.

      David

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
        David, my cross-indexing turns up a reference on this number to 1957-1959 Thermo-King truck refrigeration units. Crosley CIBA engines were used for a time in that application, among others.

        The standard Auto-lite starting motor numbers for 1946-1952 Crosleys were MAK-4027 and MZ-4147.

        The differences:

        The former's brush-spring tension is 38-61 ounces with a 5000 rpm no-load test and 7 foot-pounds of torque at 520 amps; the latter's brush-spring tension is 42-53 ounces with a 4,300 rpm NLT and 4.4 ft.-lbs. of torque at 280 amps. Both have a 70-amp draw at 5.5 volts at NLT.

        The former was no longer factory-installed after 1948, but some of the latter were already being installed in 1946.

        Hope this helps. We'll post this at our CCOC Crosley Service site: www.onelist.com/group/CrosleyService .

        -Lou-

        =CCOC=

        --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "drlamber" <mljdrl@...> wrote:

        I just bought a Crosley engine from an estate sale, and it has a small starter with these markings: Autolite MDH 4002M 3M. Is anyone familiar with this starter? Is it 12 volt? I usually use a gear reduction starter, and this looks like a neat alternative.

        > Thanks, David
      • David Lambert
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011

          Thanks Lou that does help.