Starter

  • drlamber
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011
      I just bought a Crosley engine from an estate sale, and it has a small starter with these markings: Autolite MDH 4002M 3M. Is anyone familiar with this starter? Is it 12 volt? I usually use a gear reduction starter, and this looks like a neat alternative.

      Thanks, David
    • Kirk H.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011
        that starter is 6V.

        I just bought a Crosley engine from an estate sale, and it has a small starter with these markings: Autolite MDH 4002M 3M. Is anyone familiar with this starter? Is it 12 volt? I usually use a gear reduction starter, and this looks like a neat alternative.

        Thanks, David

      • David R. Lambert
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011

          Thanks Kirk.

          David

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011
            David, my cross-indexing turns up a reference on this number to 1957-1959 Thermo-King truck refrigeration units. Crosley CIBA engines were used for a time in that application, among others.

            The standard Auto-lite starting motor numbers for 1946-1952 Crosleys were MAK-4027 and MZ-4147.

            The differences:

            The former's brush-spring tension is 38-61 ounces with a 5000 rpm no-load test and 7 foot-pounds of torque at 520 amps; the latter's brush-spring tension is 42-53 ounces with a 4,300 rpm NLT and 4.4 ft.-lbs. of torque at 280 amps. Both have a 70-amp draw at 5.5 volts at NLT.

            The former was no longer factory-installed after 1948, but some of the latter were already being installed in 1946.

            Hope this helps. We'll post this at our CCOC Crosley Service site: www.onelist.com/group/CrosleyService .

            -Lou-

            =CCOC=

            --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "drlamber" <mljdrl@...> wrote:

            I just bought a Crosley engine from an estate sale, and it has a small starter with these markings: Autolite MDH 4002M 3M. Is anyone familiar with this starter? Is it 12 volt? I usually use a gear reduction starter, and this looks like a neat alternative.

            > Thanks, David
          • David Lambert
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 24, 2011

              Thanks Lou that does help.