Powel Crosley's Seagate garages are restored.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2011
      Here's news on the restored carriage house on the Powel Crosley bayfront estate in Sarasota, Florida. We have a photo of it in our Seagate album with the designers in front.

      Twenty local interior designers finished the garage which is now open to the public and welcoming guests through Feb. 20. Tickets are $20 each to see this utilitarian 1929 structure that housed Powel Crosley's three cars, his chauffeur, yacht captain and the pilot of his seaplane. Restoration was accomplished by historic preservation architects Renker-Eich-Parks of St. Petersburg FL and was a collaborative effort by both Manatee County and the Crosley Estate Foundation.

      This marks the first time Powel Crosley's carriage house has ever been open to the public. In 1929 he built the Mediterranean revival mansion known as Seagate on Sarasota Bay as a winter home for his wife Gwendolyn and their two children. The carriage house sits to the left of the mansion as a visitor faces the home, restored in 1995.

      "For several years, I've known that plans for the restoration of the carriage house were under way," said Jeff Hart, who designed and furnished the first-floor day room. "When the time was right, I approached representatives of the county and the Crosley Estate Foundation and asked about doing a fundraiser. They liked the idea, and so we all got busy."

      Designers were asked to choose their designs from the color of the interior tiles and from the occupations of the three men who lived in these rooms, which are about seven and a half feet wide by nine feet long, or 63 square feet.

      The little kitchen was used by the seaplane pilot. To reference the Crosley family, there's an original Crosley radio. There's a dry bar with a large framed photograph of Powel Crosley standing in front of his yacht.

      Two of the bays in the three-car garage will be converted into a catering kitchen so the carriage house can become a full-service venue for events.