From The Lyons Den by Leonard Lyons, November 14, 1940:

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2011
      Powel Crosley, Jr., told of a Crosley carowner who had run out of gas, and persuaded a Cadillac driver to tow him to a gas station.
      The cars were linked, and then the Cadillac driver started racing, from 50, then 60 and finally up to 70 miles an hour. A motorcycle cop started in pursuit. The Crosley driver became alarmed, and sounded his horn to warn the Cadillac driver — who ignored the honking, and increased the speed to 80, to elude the cop. At 80 the motorcycle cop halted. He told his superior officer: "Now I've seen everything.
      I was trying to catch a Cadillac doing 70, the driver steps it up to 80 — and what do I see? One of those little Crosleys behind him,
      giving him the horn."

      * * *

      =CCOC=