Steering wheels.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2011
      Thanks, OW. Actually, our replacement Crosley steering wheels aren't that uncommon, but being hard rubber, they do deteriorate. I coated my 1942's original steering wheel with clear-coated epoxy enamel in the correct color back in 1989 and it's still intact. In the late-1960s there were so many spares that Ed Herzog's Service Motors was discounting them at $1.00 each. My '47 CC Sport Convertible still wears it.

      You are spot-on about our CCOC supporting correctness and originality.

      The temporary fix you suggest is a good one and is very easily reversible; it doesn't damage the integrity of the car beyond recovery. Thanks again!

      Lou
      =CCOC=

      From: olwoodie
      1b. Re: Crosley steering wheel adaptor.
      From: Kenneth Cahill

      Messages
      1a. Crosley steering wheel adaptor.
      Posted by: "olwoodie" olwoodie@... olwoodie
      Date: Sat Jan 8, 2011 10:57 am ((PST))

      I am fairly new to the Crosley Club so I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not. I can see that the club is all for 100 % original Crosleys but I thought that I would share this information with anyone who might be wanting to change their old cracked original steering wheel. I just happen to have a Superior steering wheel adaptor kit for 1955 - 1967 Volkswagon and it is a perfect fit on the keyed Crosley steering shaft. I installed a different steering wheel on my Crosley this morning. Once the hub is on you can use several different steering wheels. Hope that I am not stirring things up here..

      Messages in this topic (2)
      1b. Re: Crosley steering wheel adaptor.
      Posted by: "Kenneth Cahill" kcahill@... cahillkenneth
      Date: Sat Jan 8, 2011 11:12 am ((PST))

      We like original, but you will find the club is also quite diverse. I am sure there are members who will find your discovery to be very helpful. Thanks. Let us know other things that can help, too. Let us know what you are working on. Kenn
      I am fairly new to the Crosley Club so I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not. I can see that the club is all for 100 % original Crosleys but I thought that I would share this information with anyone who might be wanting to change their old cracked original steering wheel. I just happen to have a Superior steering wheel adaptor kit for 1955 - 1967 Volkswagon and it is a perfect fit on the keyed Crosley steering shaft. I installed a different steering wheel on my Crosley this morning. Once the hub is on you can use several different steering wheels. Hope that I am not stirring things up here..

      Messages in this topic (2)

      Post your Crosley stories, questions/answers and memories now; click www.onelist.com/group/Crosley/post
      ___________________________

      Visit our CCOC Store: www.cafepress.com/CrosleyClub
      Crosley Car Owners Club (CCOC) websites:
      <www.onelist.com/group/Crosley>
      <www.onelist.com/group/CrosleyService>
      <www.onelist.com/group/Crosley3>
      <www.onelist.com/group/Crosley4>

      The CCOC: A Fine Club - you see us everywhere.

    • luxrs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2011
        Fellas, there is an NOS steering wheel on EBay now that is dead on to the original for a 49 CD wagon I have, it is listed as maybe needing the keyway filed in the splines. I have not pulled my original wheel to check this out, but it sure looks good compared to my old one.....