Anniversary Reminder

  • Crosley@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 556 , Jan 4, 2011
      Reminder from: Crosley Yahoo! Group

      Title: January 5, 1943: The first confirmed 'kill' by the new Crosley Proximity Fuze.

      Date: Wednesday January 5, 2011
      Time: All Day
      Repeats: This event repeats every year.
      Location: Near Guadalcanal, Pacific Ocean.
      Street: CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB (CCOC) - 4526 29th Avenue
      City State Zip: Kenosha, Wisconsin 53140-3044
      Phone: (262) 652-3034
      Notes: The destroyer USS Helena, part of a fleet under attack by four Japanese fighter planes, downs one of the Zeros in the first known wartime use of the new Crosley proximity fuze which is later credited with being the main weapon in shortening World War II. The fuze is widely considered the third most important product development of the war years, ranking behind only the atomic bomb and radar.

      James V. Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy said, "The proximity fuze has helped blaze the trail to Japan. Without the protection this ingenious device has given the surface ships of the Fleet, our westward push could not have been so swift and the cost in men and ships would have been immeasurably greater."

      British Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill was quoted with "These so-called proximity fuzes, made in the United States... proved potent against the small unmanned aircraft (V-1) with which we were assailed in 1944."

      Commanding General of the Third Army, George S. Patton said, "The funny fuze won the Battle of the Bulge for us. I think that when all armies get this shell we will have to devise some new method of warfare."

      Yahoo! Greetings:  Send a Yahoo! Greeting
      Yahoo! Shopping:  Browse Yahoo! Shopping Gift Guide

    • Crosley@yahoogroups.com
      Message 556 of 556 , Jun 3, 2012
        Reminder from: Crosley Yahoo! Group

        Title: 1948: Powel Crosley III dies at 36.

        Date: Monday June 4, 2012
        Time: All Day
        Repeats: This event repeats every year.
        Location: Miami, Florida.
        Street: CROSLEY CAR OWNERS CLUB - 4526 29th Avenue
        City State Zip: Kenosha, Wisconsin 53140-3044
        Notes: Powel Crosley III, the son of Powel Crosley Jr. and Gwendolyn Bakewell Crosley, dies of a sudden heart attack at his Miami home. He had been the general manager for the Crosley Marine Research Laboratory in suburban Coral Gables, Florida. He is survived by his widow and three sons, all of Miami.