Atlee's Crosley-on-a-pole: update.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2010
      Crosley to return to pole by popular demand

      By DAN SHERRIER

      H-P Staff Writer

      The yellow Crosley car on a pole will be back, thanks to popular demand.

      The car stood on a pole along Route 301 for more than 50 years as a legally nonconforming sign. In 2008, when Atlee Auto Service planned to relocate to the property, a condition of the rezoning required the car to come down.

      The Board of Supervisors last week considered a concurrent rezoning amendment and Special Exception permit that would allow for the car's return to its pole.

      Deputy Planning Director John Bender said, "Atlee Auto Service constructed its new facility on the subject property and received several requests to preserve the car on the pole sign, which has been referred to as a local landmark."

      The only speaker during the public hearing was Dennis Young, representing Atlee Auto Service, who thanked the Board and Planning staff for allowing the company to submit the request.

      Henry District Supervisor Chuck McGhee commented, "This has been a very interesting case, to say the least. I didn't realize that a car on a pole could excite so many people. I think out of all the correspondence I received on this, I only had one person suggest that we not put it back."

      He added, "It really is one of those quirky things that you see in localities across the country. … I've missed seeing it, but hopefully with tonight's action, we can see it back up again very soon."

      McGhee made a motion to approve both the rezoning amendment and the SE permit, and both passed with votes of 7-0.

      The people said, "Keep the Crosley."

      (Photo posted here in our CD album.)

      =CCOC=