E15 gasohol: good news.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2010
      It looks like we're enjoying a minor victory.
      The US Environmental Protection Agency just confirmed that there is insufficient test data to force 15% alcohol in fuel for cars older than 2000 models. Our concern was that ethanol increases water formation which can then create formic acid and corrode metals, plastics and rubber. The ethanol industry wants to raise the ethanol content in gasoline from 10 percent (E10) to 15 percent (E15).

      E15 is still months off while the EPA figures how to mandate pump labeling, which will take months.

      Stations won't be forced to sell E15 fuel. Some are concerned that they could be held liable if E15 damages a vehicle, and also they'd need to invest in new storage tanks, hoses and other equipment.

      Thanks to those who spoke out. Any comments may be directed to our advocate Steve McDonald at stevem@....

      =CCOC=