Ethanol and the EPA.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2010
      Legislative alert: the Ethanol threat.

      Posted by: "Kirk" kchmn61085@...

      Kirk writes:

      "I can understand the concern about ethanol in our fuels. But I think if you are going to make a stand about it you should have your facts straight. Ethanol does not form water, in fact it absorbs any water in your gas, It is the same as the old standby HEET, which we have all used to absorb water in our gas tanks. Ethanol in fact runs a bit cooler than gas. I am not an expert on the subject, but for years we have run our stock cars on Ethanol, and Methanol. All the indy cars run on alcohol. I personally drove a 1973 International pickup on E85 for many years, The only thing I noticed was a huge increase in fuel mileage and a lot more power. I'll even bet that the Crosley race cars back in the days used alcohol. The model T Ford was designed to use it. And unless you are driving one of those newer cars with an oxygen sensor it will be a big improvement in power and mileage. Don't knock it till you've tried it. I have, and it was great. I run my '77 Dodge 1 ton on E25 all the time with like results. Kirk Hoffman"
      =======
      Thanks, Kirk, and you're correct that some later high-compression Crosleys indeed used alcohol/water injection (called Vita-Mix), but for accuracy's sake I didn't say ethanol forms water - I said it increases water formation in the fuel system (see below), which it does by adsorption, a genuine problem when the cars are dormant for periods of time as vintage cars are - over the winter, for instance.

      Under such conditions the unholy combination of water, ethanol and fermenting gasoline creates formic acid, a potent corrosive agent. (Formic acid, incidentally, is what stings from venomous red ant bites.)

      I'm not knocking the efficacy of ethanol / methanol as motor fuel in regular or racing uses, but the facts are in that under certain conditions it can have negative effects on older cars with specialized needs.
      Anyway, I do feel the EPA is ready to compromise on our behalf, and I'll post the news as it develops. Thanks again, Kirk.

      =Lou=
      =========
      "Our concern is that the additional ethanol will harm our vintage vehicles, because ethanol increases water formation in the fuel system, especially when the vehicle sits over a period of time, as ours do. Under those conditions, formic acid is created which corrodes metals, plastics and rubber. Ethanol also causes engines to burn hotter which could lead to premature engine and equipment failure."