Legislative alert: the Ethanol threat.

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2010
      Here's an update on the new ethanol threat to our Crosleys. First, thanks to all CCOC members who asked President Obama to stop the EPA from raising the ethanol content in gasoline. Over 22,000 e-mails came in from the car clubs, plus boaters and convenience stores.

      The EPA is expected to rule late this month on whether to raise the ethanol content in gasoline from 10 percent (E10) to 15 percent (E15) for late-model cars. Here's the worry: it could force the use of E15 in all cars at a later date.

      Our concern is that the additional ethanol will harm our vintage vehicles, because ethanol increases water formation in the fuel system, especially when the vehicle sits over a period of time, as ours do. Under those conditions, formic acid is created which corrodes metals, plastics and rubber.

      Ethanol also causes engines to burn hotter which could lead to premature engine and equipment failure.
      The problem is that the EPA has no procedure in place to ensure that gasoline with no or low ethanol will continue to be available for us as owners of older vehicles.

      We've added our voice as the CCOC to protect our cars and our investments and will let you know when the EPA issues its decision. Meanwhile, thanks for your effective responses. Questions/comments may be directed to Steve McDonald at stevem@....

      Heres the original alert: http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62807

      SEMA
      1575 S. Valley Vista Dr., Diamond Bar, CA 91765

      =CCOC=

      Membership today: 399.
    • Kirk
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2010
        I can understand the concern about ethanol in our fuels. But I think if you are going to make a stand about it you should have your facts straight. Ethanol does not form water, in fact it absorbs any water in your gas, It is the same as the old standby HEET, which we have all used to absorb water in our gas tanks. Ethanol in fact runs a bit cooler than gas. I am not an expert on the subject, but for years we have run our stock cars on Ethanol, and Methanol. All the indy cars run on alcohol. I personally drove a 1973 International pickup on E85 for many years, The only thing I noticed was a huge increase in fuel mileage and a lot more power. I'll even bet that the Crosley race cars back in the days used alcohol. The model T Ford was designed to use it. And unless you are driving one of those newer cars with an oxygen sensor it will be a big improvement in power and mileage. Don't knock it till you've tried it. I have, and it was great. I run my '77 Dodge 1 ton on E25 all the time with like results. Kirk Hoffman