John Van Sickle's CD wins again.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2010
      John Van Sickle's CD took another win on September 18 when one hundred and fifty-six vehicles filled the lawn of the Manassas VA Museum for the Edgar Rohr Memorial Car 39th Annual Meet sponsored by the Bull Run Region, Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA).

      "With so many other antique car show going on in the area and the state of the economy, we didn't expect such a large turnout but we are all glad that they decided to come out," said Leonard Paquette, president.

      The number of participants was about the same as last year. "The lawn became so crowded we had to squeeze in some of the cars," Paquette said. The number of vendors was up from last year.

      Among the top winning entries was again that of John Van Sickle of Manassas, who has entered his 1951 CD Super sedan in all of the past shows. His CD was named the "City of Manassas Choice" chosen by Councilman Jon Way.

      "`I bought the car for $100 from a scrap yard in New Jersey and totally restored it myself," said Van Sickle.
      John's CD was featured in "Chances Are," a 1989 comedy film starring Cybill Shepherd, Robert Downey Jr., Ryan O'Neal and Mary Start.

      "The directors of movie saw the car at a show I was in at Hershey, and wanted to know if they could use it in the movie along with me and my daughter. We took the car to Georgetown for the shooting of the film. The car made it in many scenes ... but we got cut out".

      John said he was introduced into the car hobby by the late Edgar Rohr for which the meet is named. John's CD received a National First Place Prize in the 1981 Hershey show and has repeated every year since. John also has a Crosley battery radio that came with his car at purchase.