Powel Crosley's '33 Duesenberg SJ wins at Glenmoor.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2010
      With Duesenbergs one of the featured classes at Sunday's Glenmoor Gathering of Significant Automobiles in Canton, Ohio, it's not a surprise that one should take Best of Show at the concours. Nor is it much of a surprise that, out of a field of incredible and noteworthy Duesenbergs, Powel Crosley, Jr.'s stellar supercharged example – in this case the 1933 Model SJ Beverly Berline by Murphy now owned by Judge Joseph and Margie Cassini III of West Orange, New Jersey – should rise to the cream of the crop and take first prize.

      Powel reportedly didn't own this Duesenberg for very long, but we Crosley enthusiasts believe he may have been influenced to use Murphy to build some of the earliest Crosley bodies by this particular car.

      Incidentally, a 1942 Crosley Liberty sedan was on the field at Glenmoor yesterday as well. The first Crosleys (1939-1942) were indeed Murphy-bodied, as were contemporary Fords and Mercurys. It was a bittersweet day, that early May of 1939 when Powel introduced his new and long-anticipated line of Crosley automobiles, as Powel's wife Gwendolyn had passed on just a month previously.

      We have a great new photo of Powel's winning Duesie in our Powel Crosley photo archives.

      =CCOC=