re: Alcohol and fuel pumps.

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16 1:23 PM
      Lou
      I too can attest to the evils of alcohol blends in vintage autos.  It can be most harmful to any rubber bits in the fuel system, pump diaphragms especially as they are very thin and operate by stretching.  Alcohol tends to rob the elasticity rather rapidly.

      Living  in Iowa E 15 and even E85 are making inroads to fuel stations.  It would appear some states are lost but here, it is still possible to find stations who pump 100% dino fuels.  It takes a little time to source them but its well worth it.  Amaco used sell pure gasoline but I think they now be part of BP...neither it nor Texaco are in my area anylonger.  Some independents such as Sunoco affliates have pure gasoline albeit very high octane.

      Thanks for the links, the collector car community needs to make the politicians aware.  As a whole, we would be a strong lobbying arm.

      FWIW, the problems with alcohol effect all engines of old, lawn mowers, marine motors, etc.  Even the new mowers have parts adversely affected by alcohol blends so I am told by a mechanic who makes his living serviceing box store engine warrenties...