File in the "For-what-it's-worth" Dept.:

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2010
      What Car Makes You Feel Like Joan Jett?

      By Robert Emslie, on August 30th, 2010

      I don't give a damn about your Jag reputation. . .

      After forming and then abandoning the Runaways due to creative differences – she was creative the rest of them weren't – Joan Jett penned the song that would become the rallying cry of her career- Bad Reputation. Along with some killer guitar work, Jett's lyrics profess to what is essentially a manifesto disregarding the opinions of those who might look askance at her lifestyle, and has become the de-facto standard for rebel soundtracks. What we were wondering is whether or not there's a particular car or brand – one that is also viewed in the pejorative – that you love despite its social stigma?

      Of course, there's plenty of iron from which to choose, after all it's more rare to find a make or model that hasn't at one time hasn't made some sort of brand faux pas than one that's automobiledom's Wally Cleaver. I for one have a massive jones for old British cars, and have owned more of them than I can count over the years, despite the fact that I'm fully aware of their foibles, and have been visited by said shortcomings at the most inconvenient of times. But that bad reputation can't overcome whatever charm or neurotoxin they exude, and I keep coming back, buying ever more crumbly examples as either my sympathies toward their plight or advancing mental failings encroach upon my ability to make rational decisions.

      Other people like Corvairs (full disclosure, I also like Corvairs, and the first step to overcoming a problem is to admit you have it) or, masochistically, Fiats. Each of these represents a car or brand that comes loaded, and not with accessories, but of a reputation for pain, financial ruin and ridicule, but some of us just don't give a damn. Would you laugh at the Crosley Club as they drive slowly by in their cramped, underpowered little post-war answers to a question nobody asked? Of course you would. But that derision means nothing to the Crosley aficionado, who prides him or herself on their knowledge of the brand's history and the quality of their car's restoration. Like Jett, they also don't give a damn about the Crosley's bad reputation.