Historic-Modified in Dayton, Ohio.

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2010
      Back in January 2007, Bob Werner sent me these photos of a car his uncle, Charles Matthews, built in either the late 1940s or early 1950s in Dayton, Ohio. Bob said "The car was built using some Crosley parts and was silver in color; perhaps the body was made from sheet aluminum but I do not remember for sure," Bob wrote. "Today, I doubt is my uncle's car still exists, but if anyone knows about it, please let me know."

      Parts from other makes went into the construction of the roadster – most notably the bumpers and taillamps. There are two different license plates on the car in the photos (953 PW and what appears to be 7815 PA; the lighter one appears to be a 1948 design, while the darker one could be a 1947 design) and from that fact it seems that Charles had his car on the road for at least a couple of years.

      There is, of course, a greater chance the body was scrapped if it was aluminum, but we can always hold out hope that it's still around, hiding in a garage in Dayton.

      Photos are posted.

      =CCOC=
    • Peter Berard