Atlee Auto's Crosley: update.

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2010
      Request filed to restore Hanover's landmark auto

      By Katherine Calos | TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

      Published: August 15

      The owners of Atlee Auto Service have filed the paperwork to return a landmark car to its pole on U.S. 301 in Hanover County.

      Dennis Young, co-owner, said he and Richard Hollins filed a request with the Hanover zoning department to allow the little Crosley wagon to return to the perch it's occupied for 50 years.

      The wagon was placed on top of the pole in the 1960s by Gordon Lawhorn to advertise his auto salvage yard.

      In Atlee Auto's zoning application to build a new auto repair shop on the property, Young and Hollins agreed to take the Crosley down, which they did at the beginning of August so they can move into the building later this month.

      They responded to public sentiment to save the car by filing to amend their zoning proffers and to obtain a special exception to allow an unusual sign that's higher than the county limit of 16 feet. County filing fees cost more than $2,000.

      The tentative date for the Hanover Planning Commission to hear the case is Oct. 21, said David Maloney, acting planning director. If approved by the planners that day, it would probably come before the Board of Supervisors in November.

      Young and Hollins plan to have the Crosley body restored before returning it to the pole. The car has no engine or interior.
      Posted by richnative on Aug. 15, 2010 - 9:19 a.m.

      I really hope they get this done. I can remember as a child, now 61 years old, riding with my parents and older brother to my aunt and uncles place at the river and bugging my parents asking, "have we gotten to the car on the pole yet".