Fifty years ago today:

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2010
      Crosley Executive Kills Self With Gun

      CINCINNATI (UPI) — Francis C. Reith, president of the Crosley Division of AVCO Corp., apparently killed himself today with a single revolver shot in the chest, police reported.
      Reith, 45, was found dead at 2 p.m. Sunday in bed at his home in suburban Hyde Park.
      He was a Ford Motor Co. executive in 1952 when he was credited with saving Ford of France, changing the firm from a two-million–dollar deficit to a profit of one million in one year.
      TWO YEARS LATER, after merging Ford of France with Simca, he returned to America to head the Mercury division.
      In 1957 he was offered a chance to help Crosley out of a financial doldrums.
      He said early in 1958, "This offered another challenge for me. It was a company with problems, but with good opportunities. I just couldn't resist it."
      Reith, a native of Des Moines and a Duke graduate, is survived by his wife, Maxine and three children.