Wooster, Ohio:

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      After reading the list of auto dealerships doing business in town when Wooster, Ohio celebrated its sesquicentennial back in 1958, Art Stewart mentioned the Crosley dealership that was located across from the current post office during the late 1940s and early '50s.

      "I can't remember who owned the dealership," he said, "but my father purchased two of the cars to drive to work. The Crosley Corp. manufactured radios and early television sets, but they also manufactured a tiny car that got around 50-plus miles to the gallon. They were a hoot to drive.

      "I was in high school at the time and played basketball," he continued. "The cars were so light that three boys could lift the rear end off of the ground. Many nights after the ball games we would find our little Crosley sitting on the curb, or with the back wheels lifted off of the ground and the car sitting on blocks of some sort."

      (Local historian Harry McClarran found this listed in the 1950 telephone book:

      * Carlisle Motor Sales (Crosley), 118 E. South St., Wooster, Ohio.)