Worcester, Ohio:

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      Fri May 07 2010;

      Worcester Citizen News
      Bits and Pieces:

      After reading Art Stewart's recent comment that Crosley autos used to be "a hoot to drive," Roger Botkin wrote to say the cars were also a "hoot to back down two planks off a flat bed trailer."

      "In 1948 I drove for Crosley Motors," he explained. "We hauled steel stampings out of Gerstenslager's to the Crosley Plant in Marion, Ind. We delivered cars mostly in Northeast Ohio.

      "They were fun to drive," he added, "There are still some around ... mostly owned by collectors."

      "My late father, Glenn (Bim) Carlisle, had the Crosley dealership mentioned in a recent column," said William Carlisle. "After he left the dealership, my father worked during the late '50s as a ladies wear buyer at Freedlander's, then went to Diamonite in Shreve."

      Norman L. Lewis of Wooster called to say he worked as a mechanic for 'Bim' Carlisle.

      "The Crosley automobile was a 4-cylinder with a 44-cubic inch, 24-horse power engine. I owned a couple of them."

      Josephine Ward called to say her brother, Herbie Uhl, also worked as a mechanic for Carlisle. The 1952 Wooster High School graduate said she thought the dealership closed in the early '50s.