Transmission oil reasearch

  • cutworm1959
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2010
      Hi all, is there a better oil to put in our little crash-boxes? I understand they whine normally with GL90W. How bout running straight Lucas additive? Please advise, Cut
    • Peter Berard
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2010
        Hey Cut,
          I tried some 140 wt. but returned to 90. Was too thick in the winter........pete
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2010
          Cut, is there any leakage anywhere? Tell you why I'm asking:

          There's rarely any consensus on the topic of differential/transmission lubricants for older cars. I prefer the factory recommendations of 90W for good gearboxes, but if there's major leakage I use a mayonnaise-like Kendall Oil gear lubricant, the name of which escapes me now. I'll check and get back to you.

          (Remember to check your steering-box lube levels, too, everybody.)

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2010
            Thanks Lou, yes it has caked on grease on the torque tube. Leaking from rear. I saw a fine fellow the other night on a show , Powell Crosley and the 20th Century! You did a great job and your comments are perfectly correct. Cut

            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2010
              Thankye kindly Pete, 140 must be thick as gravy at deer camp. I have plenty of good 90w oil from my jeepin days so im set. Cut