Murder at the Powel Crosley YMCA?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2010
      A sad and bizarre story is unfolding in Cincinnati:

      A former regional manager for the Bend, Oregon Liquor Control Commission has been accused of stealing the identity of a boy murdered in 1982, 28 years ago, after being kidnapped from the Powel Crosley YMCA.

      Federal prosecutors say Jason Evers was charged with providing false information on a passport application, but the charges don't specify what false information Evers allegedly provided. The document lists the defendant as "John Doe, aka Jason Evers."

      U.S. marshals arrested Evers in Idaho last Tuesday, and he was booked into County Jail in Boise, Idaho, where he was being held without bail.

      An Ohio man said he believes the man claiming to be Jason Evers assumed the identity of his murdered son. "He's an impostor," said Bob Evers, of Cincinnati, in a phone interview.

      On June 18, 1982, Adrian Williams took 3-year-old Jason Evers from the Powel Crosley YMCA next to the child's home in Springfield Township, Ohio and killed him.
      Williams buried the child in a densely-wooded area, then tried to collect ransom money from the family. A month later, Jason's decomposed body was found in a shallow grave.

      Bob Evers said he got a call from a federal agent about an investigation of a 31-year-old Oregon state employee using the name Jason Evers. The investigator said the individual claimed to have the same date of birth as Bob Evers' son, Jan. 6, 1979. "We thought it was some kind of a hoax," Bob Evers said.

      Bob Evers said he was informed that the alleged impostor had obtained a copy of his dead son's birth certificate. "That's what I'm trying to figure out here, is how he got ahold of my son's information," Bob Evers said.

      Another unanswered question is how the man was hired by the OLCC, which routinely conducts background checks on liquor license applicants, club owners, bartenders and other servers of alcohol. The man claiming to be Jason Evers was hired in 2002, officials said. A spokesman said Evers would have gone through the standard background check new OLCC employees receive, including fingerprinting.

      Still unanswered is how the suspect survived a months-long investigation by the Oregon Department of Justice last year without his true identity being revealed.

      The investigation began with questions about his credibility as an OLCC investigator. His reports were contradicted by surveillance tapes in at least two separate cases.

      =======

      We'll keep you posted. Who has visited the Powel Crosley YMCA?
    • Geoff
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2010
        I have visited this "Y" many times, mostly to swim. A friend lived right across the street. This was probably 40 years ago at least, but at that time it was a very nice facility, very clean and suburban. I know that the neighborhood (Westwood) has changed drastically in the interim, but it's still probably a pretty nice "Y".