Re: Wrecker Untangles Cars in Fatal Crash.

  • chevy1943
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
      Interesting history but as a Crosley driver I'm not sure I liked reading it!!

      --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "LouRugani" <x779@...> wrote:

      > (The Charleston Gazette, Friday, October 7, 1949)
      >
      > (Photo) The 37-year-old driver of the small Crosley car in the background died enroute to a hospital last night after it crashed head-on with the car at left to the middle of the Patrick St. bridge, police said. Witnesses said the driver, Paul DeBoard, was catapulted through the windshield and landed on the bridge's paved surface. Charles Johnson of Bob Morris' wrecker service at Court St. is shown moving away the wreckage. (Gazette Photo)
      >
      > 1 Killed, 3 Hurt As 2 Cars Crash
      >
      > A 37-year-old Charleston man was killed and three Charleston high school students injured slightly last night in a two-car head-on collision on the Patrick St. bridge, state police reported.
      >
      > The dead man was identified as Paul DeBoard of 57-C 12th St., |
      > South Charleston. A Charleston General hospital attendant said he was dead on arrival there.
      >
      > The other three, all riding in the other car, were listed at Staats hospital as John Gallagher, 17, of South Park; Jerry Shelton, 17, 5508 McCorkle Av., and Harry Price, 3905 Venable Av.
      >
      > Attendants said all three were released after being given treatment for abrasions and lacerations.
      >
      > Witnesses were quoted as saying DeBoard, driving a small Crosley
      > auto, was catapulted through the windshield by the impact of the
      > crash and landed on the paved surface of the bridge.
      >
      > State Trooper C. R. Smithers identified Gallagher as the driver
      > of the other car which was driving north across the bridge.
      > Smithers said DeBoard's wife was riding with him at the time of the accident but escaped uninjured.
      >
      > DeBoard, who apparently died from a broken neck, owned and
      > operated at South Charleston, police said.
      >
      > He is survived by his wife, Mildred; two sons, Gary and Paul, Jr; his father, Okey DeBoard and his mother, Pearl, both of Charleston; two brothers, Luther and Joseph, both of Charleston; one sister, Mrs. Ruth Nalie of Dickinson.
      > The body will remain at Cunningham mortuary pending completion of funeral arrangements.
      >
      > (The photo shows a Crosley CD.)

    • David C
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2010
        Was there a photo with it?

        Dave

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2010
          --- In Crosley@yahoogroups.com, "David C" <Crosleydc@...> wrote:

          "Was there a photo with it?

          Dave"

          There was indeed, Dave, but my copy of the photo is very poor and indistict. It's a '49 or '50 CD. From the cowl down the front end slopes downward sharply. It looks to be a miracle that Mrs. DeBoard survived at all, let alone uninjured.