New member / HotShot barn find

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2009
      Hi, I'm a new member to the list. My wife's grandfather was a Crosley enthusiast, rebuilding several. One of the treasures he left behind is a HotShot body. It's in salvageable condition. Only the body is present...no chassis, engine, suspension, etc. There are Crosley bits tucked away here and there...we've found hubcaps, instruments, etc. I don't think any major components are around.

      I'd like to build a new car under this body. I don't have any commitment to historical authenticity, but that could change. I don't know much about Crosley's, but have a few books on order and am slurping up everything I can find on the Internet.

      My only real taste of the breed was a short blat in Steve DiMartino's yellow HotShot maybe 10 years ago. We were both fueling up, and I asked a few questions, starting with, "What is that?" Next thing I know, my knuckles are dragging on the pavement as he took me for a spirited spin around the block. I had forgotten even what the name of the car was until researching this car.

      So, are there any Crosley meets planned this year? Or other car shows with a Crosley presence? I looked in this site's calendar and found only anniversaries and such, but may have missed an event in the very long list.

      I've always been a car DIY'er, but with only the most utilitarian motivation for most of my life. A few years ago, I decided to learn design and fabrication skills by scratch-building a Lotus 7 knock-off. My initial goal was to learn the skills on a car to then build an airplane, but I'm having so much fun with the car I've barely been to the airport at all in the last two years. I'm currently set up with MIG, torch, lathe, mill, brake, shear, slip roller, etc. and am dangerous with each. ;-)

      My Seven is currently road-tested, licensed and essentially complete. You can see my build log here: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2741 . I've also posted some time-lapse build videos at http://www.youtube.com/dhempy . I expect to call the care "done" in the next few weeks. Well, as "done" as these things ever are, anyway. ;-)

      Well, that's my introduction. I'll probably be a lurker here mostly, until/unless I start construction. I'd like to hook up with any locals. I'm in Lexington, Kentucky, so drop me an email if you're in the area. I'd love to come see your car and get a good look at the chassis and suspension.

      Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, everyone!
      -dave
    • Fred
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
        David, good luck on the Crosley. I can send you detailed photos of the VC chassis if it would help, remember that the HotShot chassis is different from the sedan/wagons so keep looking or just build one. Mechanicals are easy, many sources, a Homelite or any post Crosley engine will work too. A little extra power never hurt. If you are lucky a chassis might be found, if not, a god replica should be withing your skills - nice job on the Lotus replica! Fred, mncrosley.com
      • david@davidandjanine.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2010
          Yes, I'd love to have any photos you have to share, Fred. I'm leaning
          toward a fairly authentic restoration at this point. Not committed
          yet, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the cars, and
          particularly availability of original or reproduction parts.

          I gotta admit, I thought I'd get a bit more response from my
          introduction post. I was under the impression that there was a pretty
          strong, active Crosley community. Looks like you've got a good club
          at mncrosley.com . I'm hopeful there are some enthusiasts around
          here. Being 80 miles from Cincinnati, I bet there are. I hear
          there's a Crosley display at Union Station in Cincy...I might need to
          take a road trip.

          Thanks for replying, Fred! :-)

          -dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
            Dave, on behalf of all 350+ of us: welcome to the fold, and Happy New Year. There are indeed many of us near you. We know you're in rather a difficult position having only a chassisless VC body, of which chassis have always been very rare. Other Crosley chassis are not interchangeable.

            I think our silence after your introduction post was partly because there wasn't an actual request for help but rest assured we'll be there for you through your difficult search for running gear. This will be a problem, one I've personally never encountered. Has anyone out there any spare VC chassis parts?

            Lou,
            moderator, CCOC

            Quoting Fred <mncrosley@...>:

            "David, good luck on the Crosley. I can send you detailed photos of
            the VC chassis if it would help, remember that the HotShot chassis
            is different from the sedan/wagons so keep looking or just build
            one. Mechanicals are easy, many sources, a Homelite or any post
            Crosley engine will work too. A little extra power never hurt. If
            you are lucky a chassis might be found, if not, a good replica should be within your skills - nice job on the Lotus replica!

            Fred,
            mncrosley.com "