Tom McCahill in MECHANICS ILLUSTRATED:

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2009
      June, 1951:

      Powel Crosley's mechanized roller skate, the Super Sports, is a great American sports car. This thousand-dollar tobacco-can on casters is a great sports car in any league. This Crosley with its 10 to 1 compression ratio will take anything in its class ever delivered to these shores. If a team of six Crosley Super Sports were to race a team of six MGs at either Bridgehampton or Watkins Glen, I'd put my hundred bucks on the Crosley Team's nose every time. The Super Sports holds the road like glue and it corners like a baby Ferrari.

      (McCahill told of what he called a funny predicament Powel Crosley got into.) It happened to Crosley when I was at his house last spring. Parked at the door was a Super Sport with the top down. Crosley's chief engineer (Paul Klotsch) and I were admiring the little car when Crosley told me what a swell new top had been added. I suggested a demonstration. With Crosley on one side and his chief engineer on the other, they started to put the top up. Fifteen minutes later and after the funniest Abbott & Costello routine you ever saw with pinched fingers and unkind words, they were still trying, and all the while the frustrated engineer kept saying "But Mr. Crosley, you okayed the design yourself."

      George Schrafft and Phil Stiles plan to race a Crosley Super Sports in the famous LeMans 24-hour race in France this summer. In its class I believe they stand a good chance of walking off with the marbles. (The dog in the pix is Joe.)

      (We have this scanned article, photos and all, in our CCOC Files section.)

      On another note: thank you for all the new orders from our CCOC Store (link below). The new designs are selling well, and that encourages thoughts of coming up with still more. If you have any design suggestions, email privately at X779@... or call (262) 652-3034.
      (All items are sold at cost.) Thanks again!

      Enjoy the weekend in FINE style.

      =Lou=

      The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.  Robert Anthony