Re: =CROSLEY= bonham's... values?

  • tim foster
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2009
      I haven't seen this car in person, so I can't comment on the quality of the restoration...but  given its provenance I'd assume it was pretty clean.

      That said, $4500 ($5300 w/auction fees) seems in line with current pricing.

      I've been watching sales of Crosleys pretty obsessively for the past 10 years, on ebay, craigslist, the newsletters and at meets.  Despite the occasional lunacy of a Crosley selling for $12,000 at a high profile auction, the prices of nice cars don't seem to have changed that much.

      the highest dollar items are the specialty cars- sportcars with history, or cars owned by someone famous.  the prices for these cars are anybody's guess.

      probably next are the prewars.  These are so rare and desirable that I'm not going to suggest a price... A nicely restored car seems to go for well for over $5000 these days, which is about what they seemed to sell for 10 years or so ago.  i just don't see enough of them sell to suggest a price.

      next are the VCs.  These used to run about $5K for a really nice car.  These days a fully restored VC can go for more, although I've seen very nice cars for sale in the $6000 range and not sell.  A decent driver, needing some cleanup here and there, generally seems to go for $4000-$5500.

      All the rest of the standard Crosleys in nice shape seem to run about $3000-$5000 depending on the quality of the restoration, rare components, extra parts, etc.  i've seen very serviceable cars sell for $3000, and there are two nice wagons on Craigslist right now in the $2500-3500 range.  Pickup trucks seem to be the rarest (rarer than convertibles even) and seem to get the top end of the price range.  A friend of mine has been advertising a fairly clean, nice driving 1951 wagon for $5500 for almost two years.  I don't have the heart to tell him that it's a $3000-4000 car.

      I'm not even going to guess on Crofton and Farm O Road values because, again, I just don't see enough of them sell to know.

      The place I've seen the big change in values is at the lower end of the quality range.  Project cars that would have sold for $300 are now going for $500-1000, and rusty cars that once would have been cut up are being salvaged.

      Sure, there are the exceptions (actor David Carradine paid over $10,000 for a VC about ten years ago) but seem to be just that- exceptions.  The truth is that there are plenty of Crosleys out there, and they have not yet outstripped demand.  the harder to find models (VCs, pickups, prewars, etc) sell faster and for a bit more money, but they seem to find their limit pretty quickly.

      I don't think this is a bad thing.  Crosleys were built cheap and they are cheap to restore-personally  I'm glad they're still affordable to regular folks making regular Money.

      tim
      http://crosleykook.blogspot.com