Serial Number Plate location

  • phs48
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2009
      Hi Everyone,
      Just purchased a 39-42 Crosley body (no frame or running works)at the Charlotte Motor Speedway swap meet last weekend and would like to figure out exactly what I have. Can anyone tell me where the serial number plate is located and can the year of manufacture be determined from it? I have located a spot welded plate below the gas tank on the cowl but it has been painted over and will not clean up even with laquer thinner. Is this the serial number plate or do I need to look elsewhere ? Is the serial number stamped or just silk-screened on. Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2009
        Congratulations, Paul; we all wish you well and offer whatever help we can give.

        Most but not all of these stamped 2-cylinder VIN plates are brazed onto the flange that connects the fenders to the prow, almost as far forward as it's possible to be mounted. You'll need a light to read it.

        That said, a few 2-cylinder cars have their VIN plates brazed onto the firewall just under the slanted portion.

        Once you locate it, the number will tell the model year.
        =============
        Funny story about these 2-cylinder VIN plates:

        In 1981 I searched and searched for my newly-acquired '42's VIN plate. The WI State Patrol had to come check the car for registration purposes and when I called to request a visit, I added that I couldn't find the car's VIN plate. The officer said the State Patrol has a big book that specifies VIN-plate locations on just about every car made, and then asked what make of car I was inquiring about. I replied "a 1942 Crosley."
        The officer said "Oh, s***!"

        He arrived and we searched together for fifteen minutes. (By chance I was the first to spot it.)

        Keep us posted on your progress, Paul. Good luck...

        =Lou=

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2009
          Lou,
          Thanks for the location of the serial number plate, it took me a while to figure out where you ment, then there it was. My plate is atached with tiny brass rivets but it was in the location you specified. Now I have a serial number but don't know how to read it, the number is 390-31736 , what year would that make it ?
          Thanks
          Paul Smith