Old versus new.

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2009
      All valid points below, and thanks for sharing them, Tim and Bob.

      I've been summertime-busy, but with your permission I'd like to reply categorically, as there's a lot there. Thanks again!

      =Lou=

      tim foster <timtmaker@...> wrote:

      "Bob, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts!  thanks for posting.

      "While I'm not convinced that the act of riding in modified crosleys will stir up all that much love among the next generation (hard to make a Crosley all that comfy at 70MPH) I certainly agree that SEEING them at all is what will keep people interested.  if people are modifying them and keeping them on the road, then that is, at least in some ways, good.

      "case in point:  There is a beautiful low mile, very original cd sedan on ebay right now. The car has gone through several cycles and tends to top out (reserve not met) at about $6K... which, not-so-coincidentally is almost exactly what a friend of mine paid for a similar conditioned CD sedan a couple of years back.

      "That's certainly not much to pay for such an original car, especially in light of the value of other US-made cars from 1951.  But, I'm not interested because I couldn't in good conscience drive it very often.  it's too nice, too original and too rare in that condition.  That car should go to a collector who wants to preserve it.

      "Meaning that that car probably won't be driving down the street, parked at the post office or supermarket or otherwise out in daily use where it could create interest in Crosleys among people who might never run into another one.  A modified car, say with upgraded transmission or- god forbid- engine (best part of a Crosley!) that can be driven anywhere, parked in front of the bar, or on the street will do more to raise awareness of Crosleys than any car in a museum- no matter how nice or rare."
      =============
      I respectfully disagree, Tim, as I drive all my Crosleys (sounds like a soap-opera title) all the time, except in salty winter weather. Around here a lot of people enjoy driving their vintage iron regularly. I can understand the concept behind 100-point show-only trailer-queens but as my late Crosley buddy Wally Schreck used to observe: "Don't these people think these cars were meant to GO anywhere?"
      ============
      "Am I excited about a sectioned '51 Crosley wagon with a Chevy 350 and an easter egg paint job?  Absolutely not."
      ============
      I hear the comments too when something like that shows up, and offer a few of my own. But we'll keep this polite.
      ============
      "And, it is inexcusable to chop up a clean original to create a custom when there are plenty of rust buckets that could be used for the purpose."
      ============
      Tim, you've touched on The Hotrodder's Main Excuse:
      "Oh, I saw this rustbucket and just had to 'save it' by changing it around into something it never was."

      That's all bushwah. It's far easier to bring back a junker by just replacing what was broken or missing. They just be honest about wanting a hotrod from the start.
      ============
      "But, if it's out in the public eye, getting people to ask 'What's a Crosley?' or say 'THAT'S an American car?... cool!' then it is doing some good. my 2 cents..

      tim"
      ============
      Right on, Tim. I get that all the time myself. Thank you again.

      =Lou=

      http://crosleykook.blogspot.com
      > From: BOB ROSS <antiqbob@...>
      > Subject: =CROSLEY= Re: Old versus new.
      Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 10:51 AM

      > I have been watching this thread and keep fighting with myself about giving my .02 cents.
      >
      > With the Crosleys, my father had one and as such I grew up with fond memories of them. Back then, I remember playing with the propeller on the front of the crosley and riding it thru the neighborhood and even getting to "drive it" (steer more appropriate, as my feet didnt even reach half way to the floor or pedals etc.)
      >
      > I am sure most of you notice that crosley ownership tends to restrict itself to a certain age group...Those of us with memories of them. As I grow older I am more and more convinced that the love of cars like the Crosleys will tend to die out as we do.
      364
      ..

      > As to modifying one or not it strikes me that while utilitarian in a lot of senses the Crosleys probably will have little in the way of appeal for the younger generation (unless grampa's grandson/granddaugh ter- you know the ones NOW out there spinning the propeller). As they grow into the caretaker position, I think that they will not be as concerned with "Purity" as much as convience. Can I take it to the corner grocery store to get that loaf of bread, or to brother Toms home 100 miles away.
      >
      > I feel very strongly that the collector cars, will tend to be like a funnel... Going from us and narrowing down as we pass untill very little interest in cars like the Crosleys, or the Model T's, or the Hillmans.
      >
      > I do think that the modified cars however will have some appeal to this younger generation.. Check out the
      166
      price of "origional cars" compared to "modified cars". Sadly the modified cars are overwhelming the Origionals.. Why, because "I THINK" they are more of a convience car. I am afraid that these will be the cars that will maintain the enthusiasm. The modified car that the owner can climb in and join the superhighway and "c
      4f6
      ruise" along at 70 mph.. With the Air blowing cold, the Stereo blasting (too high in my opinion)..but I am old so what do I know??... Then again, I too, like the cold air conditioning. ..