Re: =CROSLEY= Digest Number 751

  • dcharlesnichols@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2009
      Very nice to read about an old friend, Vernon Prentice Birtley.
      When my folks, Carl and Marge Nichols, would invite dad's boss,Birtley and his friend Bernice. out to the house for dinner my mother would forever fix creamed chicken on biscuit, V.P.'s favorite.  (mine too)
      After dinner, Birt and dad would sit in the living room and discuss problems at Crosley and in the world.(1937 - 1941)
      Birtley was the perfect picture of the Industrial tycoon of his day.  A big man with snow white hair and a deep commanding voice.
      Remembering those times and places so clearly has a very sobering and frightening effect.
      The U.S.A. isn't the same country as I remember it to be when we were the leading nation of invention and production.  When the most serious scam was being duped into buying a ticket to see freaks in a Side Show at the Fair.
      Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?
      Dennis Nichols