How Powel Crosley, Jr. Got His Start -11

  • x779@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2006
      by Michael A. Banks
      ========================
      Around the time the Lit'l Shofur was introduced, Powel Crosley made his fourth attempt to get an automobile into production., but had to abandon it due to the lack of essential materials brought about by World War I.
      But, even as it brought an end to his plans to build autos, the war offered an opportunity.

      Observing the patriotic fervor generated by the war, Crosley was inspired to develop a product that hit the market at just the right time.  "We were just moving into World War I, and the nation's patriotism was mounting to a fever pitch.  I designed a flag holder that clamped on automobile radiator caps.  It sold like a cold drink in an arid desert!  We made thousands of them." The accessory displayed five small American flags. There were several similar flag holders on the market at the time, so it must have been Crosley's large customer base (and maybe Sears') that enabled him to do so well with this.
      Next:  Powel Crosley develops more products; brother Lewis joins the firm.