OT mechanics info on rust busters

  • kirkbrit@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14 11:11 AM
      This information comes from another group and, as yet, I am unable to find the article to read it carefully.  I can vouch for Kroil as seeming superior for the task.  Peoria based Caterpiller uses it exclusively and how I learned of it.

      Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;

      Penetrating oil..... Average load
      None ..................516 pounds
      WD-40 .................238 pounds
      PB Blaster ............214 pounds
      Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
      Kano Kroil ............106 pounds
      ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

      The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15 9:58 AM
        Hey, thanks, Robert; valuable information there!

        Acetone has come to many rescues, and ATF too, but I've never combined them.

        Thanks again!
        ========

      • berard_m@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15 11:53 AM
          One of my many experiments was removing pine tree pitch from my sail boat deck with acetone. Got the tar and some gel coat too!  I guess it'll penetrate anything......pete

          Robert Kirk wrote:
          > Penetrating oil..... Average load
          > None ............ ......516 pounds
          > WD-40 ............ ....238 pounds
          > PB Blaster ............ 214 pounds
          > Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
          > Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
          > ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

          The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

          > Regards,
          > Robert Kirk
          > www.kirks-auto. com

        • BOB ROSS
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16 2:53 AM
            What I have used in the past is ATF and Kerosene..
            Not sure what advantages other than a little less harsh than acetone??
            again at a 50-50 mix..
            Just a thought.
            antiqbob