re: Crosley

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2009
      Way to go Rich!  That's what this groups members are all about, saving and restoreing Crosleys.  You also have it correct about the disc brakes.  They were developed from Aircraft brake builders.  There was in fact a law suit when Crosley opted to conventional rather than the problematic discs.  They declined delivery and left Goodyear-Hawley with a bunch of units produced for Crosley.

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
      First I would like to thank all for the oil info. Very interesting.
      I have just added 3, yes three Crosley S.W.'s to my 48 S.W. I now have a '48 "NELLIE", 49, 50 and 51 Super. All S.W.'s. The 3 new adds are in poor condition. Haven't figured which to restore as yet. Making more room for them in my shop.
      Didn't know till recently that Crosley put disc brakes on anything but Hot Shots. My '49 and '50 both have factory dics brakes on them. Rare I think but heard that Crosley stopped because they were freezing up in the winter back east.
      I will have to learn this brake system as I think it may be the best. The '51 Super has standard hydros.
      Anyway I just had to save these little cars, even if I don't rebuild them all.
      Rich W

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2009
        Richard Williams wrote:

        "First I would like to thank all for the oil info. Very interesting. I have just added 3, yes three Crosley S.W.'s to my 48 S.W. I now have a '48 "NELLIE", 49, 50 and 51 Super. All S.W.'s. The 3 new adds are in poor condition. Haven't figured which to restore as yet. Making more room for them in my shop."
        ==========
        Welcome aboard, Rich. Thank you for rescuing those cars.
        ==========
        "Didn't know till recently that Crosley put disc brakes on anything but Hot Shots. My '49 and '50 both have factory dics brakes on them. Rare I think but heard that Crosley stopped because they were freezing up in the winter back east."
        Yes, they suffered from ice and wintertime corrosion. Powel Crosley could be a bit stubborn; he was told that a fifty-cent rubber seal would protect the brakes, but he said no. That mistake came right on the heels of the COBRA engine disaster. "For want of a nail ..."
        "Anyway I just had to save these little cars, even if I don't rebuild them all.
        Rich W"

        Right on, Rich; I'm very familiar with that feeling myself, and it's a good feeling.

        =Lou R.=
      • uniquelittlecars@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2010