Re: Need help dismantling a Crosley engine.

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2008
      "notclinnotclin" <kevinmenz@...> wrote:

      "I want to separate the lower half from the upper. I have removed all
      the nuts and bolts. The only thing holding the 2 halves together now is
      the shaft that runs the overhead valves. There is the small nut on top
      that is hollow for oil flow to the valves, do I turn that? Do I need to
      put the crank shaft back in to engage the lower gear to turn that nut?
      Thanks for the help. My next question is going to be what is the best
      way to free up the stuck pistons !!"
      Kevin, the shaft that controls the overhead valves is called the 'tower
      shaft'. The general modus operandi is to remove the camshaft bearing
      caps, making sure to keep them organized. Both the caps and the
      bearings are marked numerically. Then gently lift out the camshaft -
      but take care not to damage the oil metering housing, as it's fragile.
      Next, remove the tower shaft adjuster and then the upper gear. Good
      luck, and let us know of your progress.