From the Crosley factory ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2008
      From: dcharlesnichols
      Subject: CCOC membership.

      Dear sir,

      I am a rather new member of CCOC and while I enjoy seeing photos of
      the great old cars, the emails are a bother. It seems that the emails
      go out to all members and when someone has a question or a comment,
      they send it to everyone. The last one os about the 3/4 Midget. It
      says clearly EBAY and the first line is Adrian, Michigan. Today I had
      ten (10) emails from CCOC people and I think it to be excessive.

      (Moderator note to CCOC members: if this is a problem, set your
      emails to 'Daily Digest' and all daily postings will be concentrated
      within one emailing. If you're unsure about how to do that, send a
      request to X779@... with your Yahoo name and I'll be glad to
      convert it for you. Thanks.)

      I have a very long history with Crosley as my father, Carl E. Nichols,
      was the production manager in Richmond, IN. He and my mother were
      married in 1929 when dad was a storeroom foreman at Crosley. She
      thought he was rich as he was making $18.00 a week. I suppose in those
      days he was.

      We transfered to Richmond in 1938 from Cincinnati and watched the
      factory being built and the first car roll off of the assembly line.
      We celebrated that event by having a family picnic lunch under a tree
      at the back of the plant property. My father would often bring home a
      Waukesha Shaker to test drive.

      I remember once when driving into the Cole Brothers Circus grounds, a
      dwarf ran across the field to see the car. We took him for a ride
      around Richmond while my dad told him how blocks could be put on the
      pedals and the seat raised. This was several years before Clown
      Crosleys. My favorite was the two cylinder, 1939 yellow convertible.

      My brother and I learned to swim using Crosley inner tubes as
      flotation. We had a Crosley Shelvador and a floor model Crosley
      Radio that my dad fished out of the water in the 1937 Cincinnati
      flood.

      Dad worked for Vernon Prentice Birtley, Plant Manager. VP, as dad
      called him, was transfered to the Marion plant at the start of WW II
      and dad left Crosley to become V.P. of a manufacturing plant in
      Richmond.

      I was the proud owner of a 1947 convertible that had a Cobra combo
      gasoline engine/water pump when the copper brazing seam let go on
      number one. However, I am a very active, just retired, 72 and don't
      have much sittingaround time and in so doing, wish you and your
      friends well. You do this country a great service by keeping the
      Crosley name alive and well.

      Sincerely yours,

      Dennis Nichols