Re:It aint fair

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008

      With all due respect it is only logical that they tend to NOT meander far from where they were made...for a number of implied reasons.  Back then as now having a "reliable" service place was at least as important as having a relieable dealer...someone with inventory of parts capable of actually working on the vehicles.  Thus the reason most sports cars landed on one of two  coasts and nearly all foreign sedans likewise.

      I think it was VW in the mid 60s who finally broke through the barrier and still one looked for only a dealership or an "authorized" shop to have work performed.  For as with the Crosley they were "enough" unique to scare away most folks used to flat head F head and an occasional overhead valve engine who had NEVER seen nor worked on an overhead cam style.

      In the mid 70s it was still easier for me to have work done on a single overhead cam Datsun then it was to have work done on a double overcam English car.  Its probably still true today.

      Good news Steve is that if you have any interest in project 1949 or 1951 wagons or a restored and slightly modified 1950 wagon (on my site) I am a GOOD days drive from N Ark, which if you left early Friday you could start "enjoying" Sunday morn with enough time in between to get REAL excited about your new acquisition!

      www.kirks-auto.com